Homemade Chocolate Cupcakes



Don't you just hate it when you're watching Cupcake Wars on the Food Network and your pantry is lacking that simple box of chocolate cake mix?  That's exactly what happened as I watched four small businesses take a try at combining pretzels, bacon, twizzlers, and root beer to their mixes. Now, obviously, I'm not that brave but I did get inspired to try my own homemade chocolate recipe ~ kinda like a taste as you go thing.  And since the final product was a success with the kids, hubby, & grandma's ~ I'm sharing with you how I did it!


This is what you'll need:
3 eggs
sugar
2 cups chocolate morsels
1 stick of unsalted butter
1/3 cup of cinnamon applesauce
vanilla extract
baking soda
baking powder
flour


Using a mixer on high speed, beat 3 eggs & 3 tablespoons of sugar. 

Meanwhile, on the stove in a double boiler, melt 2 cups of chocolate morsels with one stick of unsalted butter.




When your eggs and sugar appear to have a frothy texture, add a 1/3 cup of cinnamon applesauce. (You can just use one of those school lunch applesauces. They measure 1/3 cup as well.) Also add 1 tablespoon of vanilla extract. 

Mix it up on a low speed. When combined completely, slowly add your melted chocolate and butter as your mixer continues mixing. Add 1 teaspoon of baking powder, 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda, and 1 cup of flour. That's it!
Bake those up at 350 for 20 minutes. 


For the frosting, I mixed 1 stick of unsalted butter to 2 teaspoons of vanilla extract. I added 2 cups of powdered sugar. It's the best frosting ever!



I gotta admit, the reason I love the way these cupcakes came out is because they're really not 'sweet' at all. Everytime I make the box cupcakes, literally, everyone takes OFF the frosting because it's just too sugary. This recipe allows you to taste nothing but chocolate and the best part is keeping the ultra light frosting on top. Everyone loved it! Glad my "try" turned out tasty!

Comments

Popular Posts