Amish Friendship Bread... with a twist


Amish Friendship Bread.... you try it once and you're completely hooked. 

Even though this isn't one of those frequent flying foods at our home, when I do make this, it's weeks and weeks of continual bag mashing, until... I decide my kitchen counters need to be cleaned and the bags of fermenting batter need to go! Anyone who has tried making this knows exactly what I'm talking about.

The most common recipe for Amish Bread looks something like this:

1/4 cup warm water
1 cup flour
1 cup milk
1 cup granulated sugar
2 1/4 teaspoons dry yeast

This concoction ferments over 8 days in a plastic bag at room temp.
On the 6th day, you add 1 cup of flour, milk, and sugar


Then... on the 9th day you add a whole bunch of ingredients to 1 cup of the fermented batter.
The rest can be divided (in 1 cup measurements) and placed into sandwich bags. You, of course pass the batter bags onto friends and family and the whole cycle continues for 8 more days. So... you can see how this can go on for weeks! 

Well... lucky me, I just so happened to have 2 starter batches fermenting on my counter. Adamant about using both batches up completely, I decided to have fun and give the recipe some new twists! 

And I'm so happy I did because it came out AMAZING!

Fluffy, soft, moist, sweet but not too sweet, coffee bread perfection and this is what I added!




5 cups of Amish friendship bread starter 
- this should be the equivalent of 2 starter bags

8 eggs

2 vanilla flavored sugars packets

2 Tablespoons vanilla extract

2 cups flour

1/2 cup vegetable oil 

1 Tablespoon cinnamon

1 Tablespoon baking powder

1 vanilla cake box mix


Mix all the ingredients together and bake at 325 for about 40 minutes.

This recipe is enough for 3 loaves, which is awesome because you can stick the other two in the freezer for later indulgence!






Take a look at that loaf! No browning on the bottom... cinnamon sprinkled throughout. 
Yum! Yum! Yum!

If you give this recipe a try, I'd love to hear all about it! Please feel free to leave a comment telling me what you think!

Bon Appetit!



Comments

Popular Posts